a chess program developed by Eugenio Castillo Jiménez to run under MS-DOS. Eugen participated at the WMCCC 1996 in Jakarta, the WMCCC 1997 in Paris and the WCCC 1999 in Paderborn. Further, Eugen played various Spanish Computer Chess Championships, and won the SCCC 1996  . According to Eugenio , Eugen was partially inspired by open source programs like Turbo Chess, GNU Chess, and Crafty. It used 16 bit attacktables which were incrementally updated in every make and unmake move, the search uses iterative deepening, and recursive nullmove (R=2). Álvaro Begué, who for a short time worked with Eugenio on a computer chess project, mentioned Eugen had a good implementation of the null-move quiescence algorithm , based on the ideas and publications by Don Beal .
Eugen 7.2 is a program based on a hard selective search extensions algorithm, he don't makes conventional alpha beta pruning and he (in Spanish it's he) uses a special null turn moves in quiescence search. The program consist of about 40.000 C and assembler code lines. Node speed on a Pentium 133Mhz is approximately 12.000 to 30.000 nodes per second. Chess programming is my hobby-job for about last 8 years. Currently Spanish CCC.
Eugen born in 1994 like a personal free time project, initially written in Pascal and assembler, in 1995 it was changed to C language. Eugen is partially inspirated in freeware programs like Turbo Chess, Gnu, and Crafty.
[Event "WMCCC 1997"] [Site "Paris, France"] [Date "1997.10.26"] [Round "1"] [White "Eugen 7.2"] [Black "Junior"] [Result "1/2-1/2"] 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Be7 8.Qf3 Qc7 9.O-O-O Nbd7 10.g4 b5 11.Bxf6 Nxf6 12.g5 Nd7 13.f5 Nc5 14.f6 b4 15.Ncb5 axb5 16.Nxb5 Qc6 17.fxe7 Nb7 18.Nd4 Qc5 19.Bb5+ Kxe7 20.e5 d5 21.Rhf1 Nd8 22.Kb1 Qa7 23.Nc6+ Nxc6 24.Bxc6 Qxa2+ 25.Kc1 Ra7 26.Qf2 Qa5 27.Bxd5 Qa1+ 28.Kd2 Qa5 29.Ke1 Rf8 30.Be4 Rd7 31.Rxd7+ Bxd7 32.Qd4 Rd8 33.Qd6+ Ke8 34.Kf2 Ba4 35.Bc6+ Bxc6 36.Qxc6+ Kf8 37.Qe4 b3 38.cxb3 Qd2+ 39.Kg1 Qxg5+ 40.Kh1 Qd2 41.Qxh7 Qd5+ 42.Kg1 Qc5+ 43.Kh1 Qxe5 44.Qh8+ Ke7 45.Rxf7+ Kxf7 46.Qxd8 Qe4+ 47.Kg1 Qb1+ 48.Kg2 Qxb2+ 49.Kh1 Qxb3 50.Qd7+ Kg6 51.Qe8+ Kg5 52.Qd8+ Kg4 53.Qd4+ Kf3 54.Qxg7 Qd1+ 55.Qg1 Qd5 56.h4 Qf5 57.Qg2+ 1/2-1/2
- Goliath vs. Eugen by Howard Exner, CCC, October 30, 1997
- Eugen 7.5 by Gabriele Müller, CCC, September 16, 1998
- Re: Many News, see the WinBoard News Ticker ! by Pete Galati, Winboard Forum, September 27, 1999
- Spanje CCC 1996, CSVN tournament site
- Eugenio Castillo Jiménez (1997). The Spanish Computer-Chess Championship. ICCA Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1
- Meet the Authors by Ed Schröder
- Re: List is NOT a Crafty clone, ... etc by Álvaro Begué, CCC, August 21, 2004
- Don Beal (1989). Experiments with the Null Move. Advances in Computer Chess 5, a revised version is published (1990) under the title A Generalized Quiescence Search Algorithm. Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 43, No. 1, edited version in (1999). The Nature of MINIMAX Search. Ph.D. thesis, IKAT, Chapter 10, pp. 101-116
- Eugen's ICGA Tournaments
- Paris 1997 - Chess - Round 1 - Game 7 (ICGA Tournaments)