a chess program by Chrilly Donninger supported by co-developer and book author Alex Kure, based on Nimzo 3.5. Hydra was written in 386 assembly, running under Windows. Hydra 97 played the WMCCC 1997 in Paris with 7/11 for 4th to 8th place.
I am not going to Paris, a "Nimzo team" will not be there, too.
Instead, a "Hydra team" will show up, because Chrilly Donninger changed the name of his child. This program is based on Nimzo 3.5, but most of the routines are new and many new ideas had been implemented. Hydra will only work with Win 95 (97, NT) and will not work under DOS. By now we are twiddling with the positional parameters (e.g. the brand new mobility evaluation) and there are many bugs in the program. Hydra is a "usual" Donninger program: Very fast and (by now) dumb. I have a Pentium 225 MMX and Hydra is doing approx. 180 KNPS on this machine. Maybe this is going to decrease when more knowledge is implemented. Chrilly also had a plan for "CHE++", but I think due to time problems this is not going to happen ...
- Re: exclusive reporting without Hydra by Andreas Mader, CCC, October 28, 1997 » WMCCC 1997
- Paris Jebbink Prize to MChess and Hydra ! by Ingo Althöfer, CCC, November 02, 1997 » WMCCC 1997 
- Good news: HYDRA (former NIMZO) will be engine for FRITZ by Rolf Tüschen, rgcc, December 02, 1997
- Good news: ... by Ingo Althöfer, rgcc, December 20, 1997
- Lernaean Hydra from Wikipedia
- The Beast (Revelation) from Wikipedia
- Hydra (genus) from Wikipedia
- Toto - Hydra, YouTube Video