A Combination is a sequence of moves which uses tactical means and exploits specific peculiarities of the position to achieve a certain goal  . Combinatorial motives may include tactics like pins, discovered checks and attacks, double attacks, forks and so on. It often starts with a sacrifice or decoy, and leaves the opponent very few forced options to reply.
The search routine of a chess program may take some plies to recognize an initial sacrifice pays off, to distinguish it from a blunder. Extensions are designed to recognize successful combinations earlier, often triggered by forced and often singular replies from the defending side. A so called Petite combination involves only a few moves   .
- Jacques Pitrat (1976). Realization of a Program Learning to Find Combinations at Chess. Computer Oriented Learning Processes (ed. J. Simon). Noordhoff, Groningen, The Netherlands.
- Jacques Pitrat (1979). A Program which Uses Plans for Finding Combinations in Chess. ICCA Newsletter, Vol. 2 No. 2
- Jacques Pitrat (1980). The Behaviour of a Chess Combination Program using Plans. Advances in Computer Chess 2
- Kevin Coplan (1982). A Special-Purpose Machine for an Improved Search Algorithm for Deep Chess Combinations. Advances in Computer Chess 3
- Azlan Iqbal (2010). Aesthetics in Mate-In-3 Combinations, Part I Combinatorics and Weights. ICGA Journal, Vol. 33, No. 3
- Azlan Iqbal (2010). Aesthetics in Mate-In-3 Combinations, Part II Normality. ICGA Journal, Vol. 33, No. 4
- Combination (chess) from Wikipedia
- Combination (disambiguation) from Wikipedia
- Combo from Wikipedia
- Improve Your Middle Game (Part 2 - Combinations) by Mark Weeks
- The Chris Hinze Combination - Skyrider, from Sister Slick (1974), YouTube Video
- feat. John Lee, Gerry Brown, Philip Catherine, Jasper van 't Hof, Rob Van Den Broeck, Jan Huydts, Robert Jan Stips, Henny Vonk
- Kāneʻohe Bay's Fighters Unlimited Boxing Team member Matthew Miller takes a hard hit from Palolo Boxing Club's Aaron Floyd. Miller was K-Bay's champion fighter Saturday during the boxing tournament held at Kahuna's Ballroom, by Megan L. Stiner, November 05, 2004, Striking combination from Wikipedia
- Harry Golombek (1977). Golombek's Encyclopedia of Chess. Crown Publishing, ISBN 0-517-53146-1, amazon.com
- Chess Glossary - chess-poster.com
- Chess Theory, Glossary P © Chess-Theory.com 2004-2009