a multinational computer technology corporation that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports a wide range of software products for computing devices, headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA. Microsoft was founded in 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen, to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the 8080 based Altair 8800, to rose and dominate the home computer operating system market with MS-DOS, followed by Windows and associated applications most notably the Microsoft Office suite as well as development tools and compilers like Microsoft Visual Studio and Visual C++, co-developed by Eugene Nalimov .
Bill Gates on AI
Microsoft was founded about 25 years ago, and I can remember at the time thinking, "Well, if I go out and do this really commercial stuff, I’m going to miss these big advances in AI that will be coming very soon." (Laughter.) And so I come from the school of AI optimist. You know, I can remember being at Harvard and back then AI was the Greenblatt Chess Program and Maxima and Eliza and people literally felt that within five to ten years that some of these tough problems would be solved.
- Feng-hsiung Hsu (2005). Hardware Related Research at Microsoft Research Asia. Advances in Computer Games 11 - Invited Lecture
- Microsoft from Wikipedia
- Open Letter to Hobbyists from Wikipedia
- Microsoft Research from Wikipedia
- Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) from Wikipedia
- CHESS - Microsoft Research a tool for finding and reproducing Heisenbugs in concurrent programs
- Building 92 at Microsoft Corporation headquarters in Redmond, Washington. Photographed by user Coolcaesar on 30 May 2016, Wikimedia Commons
- About compiler optimizations by Frédéric Louguet, CCC, December 19, 2002
- Remarks by Bill Gates, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Seattle, Wash., August 7, 2001
- Microsoft Entertainment Pack from Wikipedia
- Chess Titans from Wikipedia