To asses such positions correctly, program should take several factors into account:
- Distance to the promotion square
- Do promoted queens give check?
- Are front spans obstructed by own king?
- Can the opponent king use the rule of the square to its advantage?
- Réti Endgame Study
- Rule of the Square
- Set-wise Rule of the Square
- Szén Position
- Unstoppable Passer
- Pawn race tb by Dann Corbit, CCC, July 14, 1999
- Evaluation of pawn races by Rémi Coulom, CCC, August 21, 1999
- pawn race position by Jon Dart, CCC, June 05, 2002
- A strange position by Alessandro Scotti, CCC, July 06, 2007
- Rule of Square test position by Charles Roberson, CCC, May 15, 2008
- interesting pawn race position by Jon Dart, CCC, December 14, 2008
- pawn race - Wiktionary
- Chess Skills: Pawn Race by James Stripes, May 20, 2008
- How to Understand Pawn Races by Daniel Naroditsky, Chess.com, October 31, 2014
- Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Noonward Race, YouTube Video