a free Chess Engine Communication Protocol (aka WinBoard) compatible chess engine by Chris Tatham. Having initially been started in JustBasic  it was subsequently translated into, and developed in FreeBASIC. Initially released in December 2005, Numpty has always had an open source code base. It is a comparatively weak engine, having a primary focus of being a reasonable but beatable opponent to casual and club players  .
- 10x12 array based board structure with pseudo legal move generation
- Alpha-beta search with iterative deepening and limited quiesence
- Simple evaluation including material, game phase piece-square tables and basic endgame knowledge
- Re: Alice, Bullucks and Numpty chess engines Reply to topic by Chris Tatham, CCC, August 13, 2008
- Perft problems... by Chris Tatham, CCC, September 10, 2008 » Perft
- Numpty DD - a tribute to Don Dailey by Norbert Raimund Leisner, CCC, June 04, 2014
- Numpty update by Chris Tatham, CCC, October 21, 2014