a Japanese computer scientist and associate professor at Toyota Technological Institute, previously affiliated with the University of Tokyo. His research interests include natural language processing, game learning, automated tuning and Upper Confidence bounds applied to Trees (UCT).
- Makoto Miwa, Daisaku Yokoyama, Takashi Chikayama (2006). Automatic Construction of Static Evaluation Functions for Computer Game Players. ALT ’06 
- Makoto Miwa, Daisaku Yokoyama, Takashi Chikayama (2007). Automatic Generation of Evaluation Features for Computer Game Players. pdf
- Shugo Nakamura, Makoto Miwa, Takashi Chikayama (2007). Improvement of UCT using evaluation function. 12th Game Programming Workshop 2007
- Akira Ura, Makoto Miwa, Yoshimasa Tsuruoka, Takashi Chikayama (2013). Comparison Training of Shogi Evaluation Functions with Self-Generated Training Positions and Moves. CG 2013, slides as pdf
- Yoshikuni Sato, Makoto Miwa, Shogo Takeuchi, Daisuke Takahashi (2013). Optimizing Objective Function Parameters for Strength in Computer Game-Playing. AAAI 2013