a chess program by Garth Courtois Jr. from the Michigan State University. ETAOIN SHRDLU ran on a Nova 1200 minicomputer  and competed at the ACM 1975 becoming Third, and the ACM 1976. ETAOIN SHRDLU is the approximate order of frequency of the twelve most commonly used letters in the English language and was used as the two first columns of keys on a Linotype machine keyboard  .
[Event "ACM 1975"] [Site "Minneapolis, MN"] [Date "1975.10.21"] [Round "4"] [White "Wita"] [Black "ETAOIN SHRDLU"] [Result "0-1"] 1.c4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Nf5 g6 6.Ng3 Nf6 7.Bg5 Bxf2+ 8.Kxf2 Ng4+ 9.Kf3 Qxg5 10.h4 Qe3+ 11.Kxg4 d5+ 12.Nf5 Bxf5# 0-1
- ETAOIN SHRDLU from Wikipedia
- ETAOIN SHRDLU - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
- The Straight Dope: What's the origin of the mysterious phrase "etaoin shrdlu"?
- World Wide Words: Etaoin shrdlu
- Farewell ETAOIN SHRDLU
- Somewhere Else » Blog Archive » ETAOIN SHRDLU
- SHRDLU from Wikipedia
- SHRDLU a program for understanding natural language, written by Terry Winograd at MIT
- linotype keyboard , Self-published work by Emdx, October 06, 2004, Copyright 2006 Marc Dufour for Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 2.5, ETAOIN SHRDLU from Wikipedia
- GG Says, August 7th, 2008 from ababsurdo.com
- The Chestnut Ridge Typewriter Museum: Smith Premier 10 Linowriter, ca. 1910
- David Levy (ed.) (1988). Computer Chess Compendium. Chapter 9.1 Games from the ACM Tournaments