an early chess program written in 8080 assembly for the Compucolor and Compucolor II home computers, sold on cassette tapes  . Compucolor Chess played the Second West Coast Computer Faire Microcomputer Chess Tournament in March 1978 in the "8K or more of memory class A"  .
The Compucolor II had 64 special graphics characters which are also available have a resolution of 384 x 256. The whole set can be seen in an accompanying photograph and they include chess pieces and card suits.
Compucolor II Charater set 
- Editor (1978). Some San Jose Color. Personal Computing, Vol. 2, No. 9, pp. 82 » MCCT 1978, Steve Stuart Chess
- Software detail - Chess from old-computers.com
- Rob van Son (2011). De Assyrische krijgsman die vaak won! (Dutch) pdf hosted by Hein Veldhuis
- Larry Wagner (1978). Results of First Microcomputer Chess Tournament. Silicon Gulch Gazette, Vol. 2, No. 4, May 10, 1978, pg. 9
- Ron de Jong (1980). The Compucolor II. Electronics Australia, March, 1980, pdf from The MESSUI Place - Computer Articles