an American computer scientist and Ph.D. in 2009 on language technology from Carnegie Mellon University under Alan W. Black. Before. he was affiliated with the University of Waterloo, working on fractal compression . Interested in computer chess, John Kominek is author of the experimental chess program Sharky, a best-first approach which played the WCCC 2002 in Maastricht. He further worked on a revamped version of Nalimov Tablebases, where he found an error in stat file kbpkn.tbs .
- John Kominek (1995). Convergence of Fractal Encoded Images. Data Compression Conference 1995
- John Kominek (1997). Advances in Fractal Compression for Multimedia Applications. Multimedia Systems, Vol. 5, No. 4, pdf
- John Kominek, Alan W. Black (2004). The CMU Arctic speech databases. SSW 2004, pdf
- Alan W. Black, John Kominek (2009). Optimizing segment label boundaries for statistical speech synthesis. ICASSP 2009, pdf
- EGTB Online distributed kbpkn.tbs stats file is incorrect by John Kominek, CCRL Discussion - Endgame Tablebases, February 17, 2008