A. Joseph (Joe) Hoane Jr.,
an American computer scientist and software engineer. He attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in computer science in 1984, and received a master’s degree in computer science from Columbia University in New York City in 1994. Already affiliated with IBM Research, Joe Hoane joined the Deep Thought aka Deep Blue team in November 1990 . He was the principal software engineer for the Deep Blue project, responsible for the parallel search algorithm.
- Feng-hsiung Hsu, Murray Campbell, Joe Hoane (1995). Deep Blue System Overview. International Conference on Supercomputing
- Murray Campbell, Joe Hoane, Feng-hsiung Hsu (2002). Deep Blue. Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 134, Nos. 1-2
- Deep Blue Team Member Joe Hoane from The Computer History Museum, Courtesy of IBM archives
- IBM100 - Deep Blue - The Team - Joseph Hoane Jr.
- Joe Hoane (left) and Garry Kasparov at the 1991 CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany, Photo courtesy: Feng-hsiung Hsu, hosted by The Computer History Museum
- The core Deep Blue team from The Computer History Museum, Courtesy of IBM Archives